Thursday, May 29, 2008

5/29/08

1. Our post-remediation radon test results came back: <0.4 pCi/L!!! WOO HOO!

2. I had a meeting with the UWM College of Nursing, which went better than I thought--I would only need to take 6 classes before being admitted to the clinical program. I could be a RN/BSN in May of 2011. This whole prospect was really quite exciting--especially hearing the classes I'd be taking (including having to re-take Microbiology--my favorite undergrad class!). OK, so at 11:00 am, I decided to go back to school to be a nurse.

3. I came home and sat down with G. and talked about my career possibilities and whined about the cost of going back for nursing, my fears about not knowing if I'd like it, and how I can't decide what I want to do. We kind of worked out that it would probably make the most sense for me to take my GRE's, apply to the Chem. Ed. Master's program, and at least start that. I might find that I love it, and even if I don't love it, I'll have (hopefully) taken enough classes to renew my teaching license, so nothing lost. And we talked about how, though the SCHOOLING required to become a nurse is way more interesting to me than the schooling required for me to renew my teaching license or get the Chem Ed degree, that the actual JOB obtained after the schooling really is the more important thing--you only take classes a few years, but will potentially have a job 25+ years. And Chem Ed would allow me to teach at the college level--much easier to do parttime, shorter semesters, not dealing with the discipline issues, etc. like at the High School level, etc. So at about noon, I've decided that I'll go back to school and get my Master's in Chem Ed.

4. After arriving at THAT conclusion, I went to the HS to look at some tests that a tutoring client of mine took so I can help her review for her final. While I'm doing that, one of the Chem teachers (the only member of the Science dept. still there from when I taught) came in and asked me when I was coming back to teach. He then told me that it was a good thing for him to be teaching in the district where his kids went to school, and talked up the job in general. I told him that it all sounded nice, but it's not like there's even an opening. Then he said that he's planning to retire in 5 years or less... So now it's 2:30 and I'm back to deciding to just substitute, pick up my 6 credits to renew my teaching license, and go back to teaching HS Science...

5. C's Orchestra concert--another joint Middle School/High School concert and it's so neat to see the progression. The older sister of one of C's friends (she's a Senior) played a solo on the cello and it was so beautiful that it brought tears to my eyes. Wow!

No comments: